REGION 10 PCL, DILG AWARD PERFORMING SANGGUNIANS
Recognizing exemplary performance of Sanggunians – cities and municipalities – in legislating measures that help build the foundation of meaningful local legislation and development, Philippine Councilors League (PCL) 10, in partnership with the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) 10, conducted Local Legislative Award (LLA) Regional Awarding on March 15, 2019 at Luxe Hotel, Cagayan de Oro City.
The awardees were indentified per income class category, as follows:
· Highly Urbanized Cities Category
– Cagayan de Oro City – Outstanding Sanggunian
– Iligan City – Regional Finalist
· Component Cities Category
– El Salvador City, Misamis Oriental – Outstanding Sanggunian
– Valencia City, Bukidnon – Regional Finalist
– Oroquieta City, Misamis Occidental – Regional Finalist
· 1st to 3rd Class Municipalities Category
– Maramag, Bukidnon – Outstanding Sanggunian
– Mambajao, Camiguin – Regional Finalist
– Kapatagan, Lanao del Norte – Regional Finalist
– Plaridel, Misamis Occidental – Regional Finalist
– Lugait, Misamis Oriental – Regional Finalist
· 4th to 6th Class Municipalities Category
– Sagay, Camiguin – Outstanding Sanggunian
– Kolambugan, Lanao del Norte – Regional Finalist
– Tudela, Misamis Occidental – Regional Finalist
– Salay, Misamis Oriental – Regional Finalist
“In identifying priority projects let it be evidence based – not based on patronage – that the legislation, ordinances, resolutions that you will be making should be geared towards ensuring that your constituents will be able to achieve happiness, peace and prosperity,” DILG RD Arnel M. Agabe emphasized in his welcome message.
RD Agabe also challenged the PCL to make this evaluation mandatory to all LGUs and not just voluntary.
The LLA is conferred to a Sangguniang Bayan or Panlungsod that excels in the enactment of ordinances and resolutions that ultimately contribute to attainment of desirable socio-economic and environmental outcomes. The award also looked into the innovations and distinctive practices in the local legislation, as it aims to inspire local legislature to excel in the performance of their function.
The award criteria covered: a) Responsiveness of the Legislative Agenda, b) Availabilty of Legislative Documents, c) Effectiveness of Performance of the Sanggunian, d) Efficiency of Performance of Sanggunian – processes and procedures, and quality of the office set-up and staff complement, e) Legislative Citations and Awards and f) Capacity Development for Legislators and Staff.
PCL 10 Regional Chairperson Atty. Oliver Owen L. Garcia in his closing message is proud that 95% of the LGUs volunteered to be evaluated; it is an avenue to check where the Sanggunian excels and needs to level up.
“I accept the challenge of the Regional Director [RD Agabe, DILG 10] to make the evaluation compulsory and no longer voluntary. I will work it out with DILG National Office that there will be circular for all LGUs – Sanggunians – that they for them to be evaluated to look into their performance,” PCL Chair Garcia said.