To give recognition and grant incentives to Lupons that demonstrate exemplary performance and commendable contributions in the promotion of the Katarungang Pambarangay, the Department of the Interior and Local Government Region (DILG)-10 conducted CY 2021 Lupong Tagapamaya Incentives Awards (LTIA) Regional Awarding Ceremony on October 8, 2021 via Zoom Video Conference.
Regional Director Arnel M. Agabe said that the activity is a tribute to the high performing Lupons who are instrumental in the successful implementation of the Katarungang Pambarangay Law in their respective barangays. The presence and efforts rendered by the Lupons in delivering the innovation of the justice system within the barangay level significantly improves social order and development in the community.
Together with Assistant Regional Director Yvette Tolentino Sunga, the members of Regional Awards Committee (RAC), Regional Assessment Team, DILG City and Provincial Directors and City/Municipal Local Government Operations Officers, the following barangays were awarded under the four award categories:
Highly Urbanized Cities Category
· Outstanding Lupong Tagapamayapa: Barangay Gusa, Cagayan De Oro City
Component Cities Category
· Outstanding Lupong Tagapamayapa: Barangay Magsaysay, Malaybalay City, Bukidnon
· 1st Runner-Up: Barangay Maloro, Tangub City
· 2nd Runner-Up: Barangay 18-A, Gingoog City
1st – 3rd Class Municipalities Category
· Outstanding Lupong Tagapamayapa: Barangay Tipolo, Plaridel, Misamis Occidental
· 1st Runner-Up: Barangay Darumawang Ilaya, Lala, Lanao Del Norte
· 2nd Runner-Up: Barangay San Jose, San Fernando, Bukidnon
· Regional Finalists: Barangay Bagocboc, Opol, Misamis Oriental and Barangay Pandan, Mambajao, Camiguin
4th – 6th Class Municipalities Category
· Outstanding Lupong Tagapamayapa: Barangay Eastern Poblacion Lopez Jaena, Misamis Occidental
· 1st Runner-Up: Barangay Tacub, Kauswagan, Lanao Del Norte
· 2nd Runner-Up: Barangay San Isidro, Magsaysay, Misamis Oriental
· Regional Finalists: Barangay Liong, Guinsiliban, Camiguin
The LTIA RAC is composed of representatives from partner agencies such as the Department of Justice (DOJ), Philippine National Police (PNP), National Police Commission (NAPOLCOM), and partner Civil Society Organizations. During the awarding, the agencies’ respective representatives were also recognized for their valuable support in the implementation of CY 2021 LTIA.
The awarding ceremony is among the series of activities that the DILG Regional Office 10 has lined up for the month of October, in celebration of the 30th Anniversary of the Local Government Month since the enactment of Local Government Code in 1991. This year’s theme is “The Wonders of Devolution: 30 Years of Strong and Empowered Local Governments”.
In line with the celebration, the Local Government Code of 1991 mandates the barangay to create a Lupong Tagapamayapa and to maintain the Katarungang Pambarangay as one of its basic services. In furtherance thereof, Executive Order No. 394 was issued on January 22, 1997 establishing the Lupong Tagapamayapa Incentives Awards to give recognition and incentives to outstanding lupons.
The Katarungang Pambarangay provides accessible and effective settlement of disputes at the barangay level. It also saves the government millions of pesos supposedly spent on hearing cases indiscriminately filed in courts that congest court dockets (DILG10/RO/Jacklyn Mariz P. Occeña/Pia Alyssa E. Jaguit)